HISTORY OF MUIR COLLEGE
Muir College is the oldest English-speaking high school in South Africa, tracing its origin back to 1822, when a Scottish educationalist, James Rose-Innes established Uitenhage’s first Free Government School in Cuyler Street on 12 July 1822 with 60 pupils.
In 1865 the Proprietary School – more exclusive and fee-paying, opened. The Rev. Dr Robert Templeton M.A. was the first headmaster. In 1873 the Government School and the Proprietary School amalgamated. In 1875 the school, now known as the Public Non-denominational School, moved to Park Avenue.
During 1892 the school’s name changed to the Muir Academy in honour of the new Secretary General of Education, Sir Thomas Muir. In 1904 a new school building was opened on the Park Avenue site by Dr Muir.
The school’s name changed to Muir High School. In 1962 Muir Primary moved to separate premises. Muir Senior moved to Vanes Estate in 1987 and Muir Primary moved into the Park Avenue buildings. The Senior and Primary schools amalgamated in 1994 and now occupy the Vanes Estate site. Boarding facilities for approximately 100 pupils are also situated on the Vanes campus.
Origin Of The School Badge: The school badge had its origin with the Proprietary School in 1864 and shows the Rampant Lion of Scotland in the left quadrant, which honoured the first (Scottish) headmaster. Facing it is the Cross from Uitenhage’s coat of arms (from the founder of Uitenhage), General J. Uitenhage de Mist’s family crest. Below is the Xhosa Warrior, which represents the Eastern Cape. This figure appears on the seal of the proposed Eastern Cape Colony.
Although the division of the Cape Colony into East and West did not occur, a seal was prepared and is on view in the Cuyler Manor Museum. The last quadrant shows the Anchor, representing the Cape Colony.
Sir Thomas Muir Drive
PO Box 231
Tel: 041 966 1147
Fax: 041 961 0187
- Mrs J. Trenerry
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - Mr R Stephenson
O.M.U. Contact Details
National Secretary:Clayton du Plooy