Of the single-sex schools that currently exist, Muir College is the oldest English-speaking boys’ high school in South Africa, tracing its origin back to 1822, when a Scottish educationalist, James Rose Innes established Uitenhage’s first Government Free School in a house in Cuyler Street in October 1822 with 60 pupils, both boys and girls.
In 1865 the Proprietary School – more exclusive and fee-paying – opened. The Rev. Robert Templeton M.A. was the headmaster of the Proprietary School. When Templeton left Uitenhage at the end of 1866 to take up a position in Bedford, the Proprietary School was absorbed into the Free School under its principal, Mr John Gibson.
At the end of 1872 the principal of the Uitenhage Free School, Mr John Gibson, retired after 32 years. The Free School was thus ‘abolished’ on 1 Jan 1873 under the Education Act of 1865 and the Uitenhage Undenominational Public School was opened in its place under Mr Brice.
This change of name is linked to the Education Act of 1865, which changed how schools were funded. Basically, because the Government Free Schools were 100% funded by the Colonial Government, they were becoming a financial burden to the state. They were also largely unsuccessful because the colonists were mostly Dutch-speaking and resented the fact that English was made the language of instruction. Uitenhage was an exception, because Rose Innes believed in mother-tongue education and so he retained Dutch as a subject. The School thus enjoyed the support of both English- and Dutch-speaking parents.
The application of the Education Act was based on all Government Free Schools first being legally ‘removed’ from the Establishment before the new funding model was applied. All Established Government Free Schools were therefore technically ‘closed’ on the resignation, retirement, death or dismissal of the principal, followed by the re-registration of the school as a state-aided non-denominational (in other words not linked to or administered by any church) public school. This ‘closure’ therefore mostly did not mean the complete end of a school – rather it was a re-classification process that allowed for the re-opening of a school on a different financial and management model, under a new principal, but often in the same building with the same pupils.
In 1873 the school became a boys’ only school and this led in turn to the opening of our sister school, Riebeek College for Girls in 1877. In 1875 the school moved to Park Avenue. During 1892 the Public School’s name changed to the Muir Academy in honour of the new Superintendent-General of Education, Sir Thomas Muir. In 1906 a new school building was opened on the Park Avenue site (Old Red Brick Building) by Dr Muir. The school was known as Muir High School, however by 1907 the school was known as Muir College.
In 1962 Muir Primary moved to separate premises. Muir College moved to Vanes Estate in 1987 and Muir Primary moved back into the Park Avenue buildings. The Senior and Primary schools amalgamated in 1994 and now occupy the Vanes Estate site. Boarding facilities for approximately 100 pupils are also situated on the Vanes Estate campus.